Saturday, March 5, 2011

How to sell Buffy

How would you sell Buffy to people who haven't seen the show? Who might even fins it silly, from hearing that a cheerleader slays vampires in it.

I've never meet any "You watch Buffy? Really?" people, but this is probably how I would sell the show:

"OMG, it's so awesome, you have to watch it! WATCH IT!"

Hopefully I would then go on to say that it's a show with horror, drama, romance, comedy and action, that can make me laugh at the jokes, cry at the painful deaths of beloved characters and applaud the action scenes. That it's a show that doesn't take itself seriously and can be really silly, yet has serious poignant moments that glues me to the screen and make me reflect on the world and the people in it. I really don't know how to sum up the whole thing, since it seems unique. I guess it depends on who I'm trying to sell it too.

A ten year old boy might like to hear it has monsters in it, a teen might like to hear that it uses monsters of the week as metaphors for teen troubles, a horny lonely 22 year old (me *cough*) might like to know it has hot characters in it, female and male, and a feminist on the prowl for a good tv show might like that a woman is the main kick a** character on the show, yet that it's realistic and doesn't paint men as the bad guys.

Trying to say what Buffy is seems hard. Easier to say what it isn't. It's not a show about that vampires are hot. It's not a show about the everyday drama of a a group of friends. It's not a show with a feministic message that has to slam the viewers with morals every episode. It's not a show that depends on good looking actors. But at the same time, it has hot vampires, a group of friends dealing with everyday problems and a feministic message. It's a bit of everything really. Hard and pointless to label.

I got the idea to this blog post from this buffy-boards thread with the same theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment