Saturday, May 2, 2009

Weekly feature: Excerpt from original script

This week I got a excerpt from Carpe Noctem(Angel, Season 3), the body-switch episode where this old guy, Marcus, is trying to "recapture" his youth.In a subplot that was cut due to time constraints, Angel has an awkward reunion with Marcus's estranged daughter, Madeline. After a couple of attempts to reconnect with the woman, Angel realizes that she's better of without her father and tells her such.

ANGEL(AS MARCUS): I'm not your father-not in any real sense- and you have every right to cut me out of your life. You need to. But I know from experience nobody's ever gonna believe that. They'll tell you no matter what, I'm your father and that we have a bond. And on some level, you'll believe them.
MADELINE: The thought of you psychoanalyze-

ANGEL(AS MARCUS): On some level, you'll think that there's something wrong. With you. Something wrong in you that I didn't love you more, treat you better. Something wrong that you're able to cut me out of your life. That ain't the case. You said I don't have a heart, but I know you do. I know how much you feel, how much you love. You need a family and you'll make one, I know. I'm not part of that. I don't wanna be.

(She starts to tear up. And laugh a little at the same time.)

ANGEL(AS MARCUS): What?

MADELINE: It's just, I've been trying so hard all these years to forget you and now you're saying...

ANGEL(AS MARCUS): You should.

Man, this takes me back. I remember the first time I saw Angel/Liam being thrown out by his father. And I remember how hard it was for Connor to be Angel's son.

I really wish they had kept this subplot.

No comments:

Post a Comment